Friday, July 6, 2018

Thinking Out Loud

**Thinking out loud** Over the last couple months I've been looking at my closet of clothes in disappointment of myself. This is why. Way back when I went to college for marketing and fashion. I understand the industry and in many ways have watched it change over the last 30 years. I've found my self trapped in the "throw away fashion" trend. If you don't know what I mean by "throw away fashion" ask your self how long do you keep your garments in rotation. Not just because you want a different style, but because they do not hold up to the wear and tear of you wearing them. Have to be honest I loved the idea of adult geranimals, AKA Lularoe or similar brand, even if I don't wear them. Something nice about walking to the closet and finding matching clothing. In the attempt to make things simple 90% of my clothes has become RTW 'throw away fashion" that last on average less than a year or 2. Compare this to 10 years ago when 80% of my clothes were made by me. They matched because I made capsule wardrobes. I still have and wear some of those things. I've been sewing and designing since I was 12 years old. I've continued teaching myself and taking classes all these years. In my high school days I took 4 years of art and 4 years of sewing related courses through tailoring. (I wanted to be a designer but got married instead.) I choose to make simple styles because that is what fits my lifestyle and body. Any way the more I look at things the more I realize I need to make my pendulum swing back to clothing I make. Why? 1. I feel happier. 2. Generally they fit better. 3. I can express myself. 4. I like the challenge. 5. In the long run the $$ and time may pan out in my favor. 6. who knows where this will lead. **End of thinking out loud** #jenneoriginal

1 comment:

  1. Agree with every word and the overall sentiment - good luck!

    ReplyDelete