Wednesday, July 17, 2019

First Pair of Shorts in Decade

 Over the first week of July I completed my first pair of shorts for myself in well over a decade.  I'm not sure why for the last ten years I felt my body type could not wear shorts. So using my limited space and supplies well staying at my son's I decided I needed a project to help break out of my comfort zone.
Using a planning sheet from mybodymodel's Project Planner it was time to re-sketch my pattern of choices mimicking the print in the fabric. 




The Details

Pattern: Lutterloh supplement 273-34-2009. These are a mid-rise knee length short. I'm 5'3" so they might not be knee length on you.
Size: Hip measurement of 128cm. Altered to make them me sized.

Supplies: Fabric, Thread, 4 buttons
Fabric Requirements: I used about 3 yards of African Wax Print. I used this much fabric due to the print. 




Fabric: The Fabric was purchased from Affordable African Prints, which is a group on Facebook. This is a 100% Cotton Ankara Fabric in a green, pink and black print. I would consider it a boarder print as well because the pattern near the bottom selvage was much more condensed than by the top selvage.







Alterations: Need to enlarge the waist by 26cm plus ease. Using the slide and pivot method I added 7.2cm per side. 
Need to also enlarge the hip by 2cm plus ease. Using the same slide and Pivot method I added 1.8cm per side



Modifications: This pattern calls for a zipper fly. I instead decided to make a covered button fly.  
Only one problem with this was I did not have my button hole foot with me to allow my machine to make one step button holes. So did them using zig zag stitch and tacking. 

Thank you to the following tutorials for helping with this process. I did make slight adjustments to their methods but these were very helpful in figuring it out.




Changes for Next Time
This pattern went together very easily and created a well fitted pattern. I plan to make these shorts again since they have been a very nice way too beat the hit this summer. In the next pair I will be scooping out the back crotch just slightly and raising the center back maybe  a little. When I first wore them I felt like the mid-rise of these shorts was to low and exposed my under garments in the back a little. What I really think is going on is the crotch might be slightly to short causing some tightness on the bum. Over all I really love these shorts and they could fast become a nice new staple to the summer wardrobe.

Until next time
Live You
Live Now
Live Bold

1 comment:

  1. This professional hacker is absolutely reliable and I strongly recommend him for any type of hack you require. I know this because I have hired him severally for various hacks and he has never disappointed me nor any of my friends who have hired him too, he can help you with any of the following hacks:

    -Phone hacks (remotely)
    -Credit repair
    -Bitcoin recovery (any cryptocurrency)
    -Make money from home (USA only)
    -Social media hacks
    -Website hacks
    -Erase criminal records (USA & Canada only)
    -Grade change
    -funds recovery

    Email: onlineghosthacker247@ gmail .com

    ReplyDelete