Saturday, January 15, 2011

Piecies 2 and 3 of Winter 6 Pack

I did quiet a bit of sewing in December just not a whole lot of posting. So bare with me as I try to catch up in the next several posts.

First are two more pieces of my Winter Six Pack (six piece collection). I have been sewing along with my fellow sewist over at Stitcher's Guild who have been working on a six piece winter collection. The original idea is that you are sewing a SWAP but it has been split up in to smaller seasonal collections. This works out great for me as I would like to both fill holes in my collection and lack the attention span to try to sew a larger 12 or more piece SWAP. The formula that is suggest for winter looks like this:

WINTER

Trousers (dark neutral)
2 Tops (1 to match, 1 to complement)
2 layering tops/cardigans/jackets (1 to match, 1 to complement)
Coat (dark netural)

I've changed is slightly and hope mine will look like this:
2 pants/leggings
3 tops (1 solid and 2 print)
1 layering piece
coat


This would be 7 pieces and that's ok because it may grew into more. I did not chose a theme for this collection instead I want each piece to be able to work as a casual weekend wardrobe. But I did not want it to just be sweats. The hope was that each piece could be as casual or dressy as it wanted to be. "Sew" working in a endless combination style I have now completed 5 pieces.

THE COAT : Is Lutterloh supplement 268 #275 that I review here in a previous post.


THE SOLID TOP: is piece 2. It was made from Lutterloh supplement 272 #201. This piece is my last piece of 2010 as it was made over my Christmas break. This top along with the other first five pieces in this collections I made no alterations. I wanted to test how close to fit Lutterloh is and I was very pleased.  

Pattern Description:

Knit top with 3/4 sleeves and facing plus matching knit pull on pants.
Pattern Sizing:
Lutterloh is based on your bust and hip measurement. So ideally if your bust and hip are 50cm to 140cm the system should work for you.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?<
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Lutterloh has no directions.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
This pattern was super simple to put together. The pieces and few markings went together smoothly. Only dislike is I got some puckering in the sleeve cap which was inserted flat method. Not sure if this was an ease issue or a sewing issue.
Fabric Used:
Black slinky knit that’s been in stash for over a year from Wal-Mart.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made no design changes or alterations. I wanted to test how it would work if I did not do pattern surgery. What I discovered is I really need to do a 1/2 inch narrow shoulder alteration.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes I would sew this again. Yes I would recommend it to others as it is a good wardrobe builder. Even a beginner can make this top as long as they have a good Idea how a basic t-shirt goes together.
Conclusion:
This is a great little top that is very versatile and can be dressed up and down.

THE LEGGING:  is piece 3 of the collection. This pieces was my first piece of 2011 and was completed during my Christmas break on New Years weekend. I was not going to make any leggings but I realized I really like how they look with tunic length tops and they seem to give a more finished look than many skinny jeans do. If I can find the fabric this will be made again as a jegging type garment.

Pattern Description:

This pattern is a knit pant/legging pattern perfect for layering or active wear.
Pattern Sizing:
Lutterloh is based on your bust and hip measurement. So ideally if your bust and hip are 50cm to 140cm the system should work for you.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?<
Yes
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Lutterloh has no directions
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I want a quick and easy project to start out the New Year. This pattern only has 1 piece and is perfect to make the legging look that works so well with tunic length tops. I have no dislikes.
Fabric Used:
The fabric is a black double knit that came from fabric.com over a year ago.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
All though worried at the start about the negative ease that is found in the waist of this pattern I made know adjustments and it worked out very well.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes I would recommend these to others. And Yes I hope to make them again.
Conclusion:
These legging have turned into one of my favorite pieces they are warm and comfy.

A parting shot. Me enjoying making the pattern for piece six. I will review piece 4 and 5 soon. Also a peak at my sewing room/library is coming soon. Tell next time happy sewing.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the Lutterloh reviews. Your outfits are great looking! I've got the system, but haven't had the impetus to get going on it. Your work is an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete