Sunday, January 16, 2011

Winter 6 Pack Pieces 4 and 5

A casual winter weekend wardrobe in the only goal I have for my winter six pack. I am rambling along on what seams like an endless combination wardrobe. The only requirement is that it works with at least 2 other pieces and I am happy. Following a long with the other sewist at Sticher's Guild. Three of my completed pieces are posted. You can read about piece 1: the coat and Pieces 2 and 3 : the knit top and the legging. I also have piece 6 completed but that will be in a future post.

This 6 pack has been super fun to complete and I know it will end up with more pieces than my original plan that looks like this.

2 pants/leggings
3 tops (1 solid and 2 print)
1 layering piece
coat
In my head a skirt has been floating around as well as a pair of denim. So we will see. Today for your enjoyment are pieces 4 and 5.


THE KNIT PANTS: are my fourth piece. The are very simple no whistles or fuss elastic waist pants. I want something as comfy as yoga pants but a little more dressy. Lutterloh Supplement 272 #201 fit the bill perfectly and and made up in a nice double knit from fabric.com have allowed them to wash up nicely.
 
Pattern Description:

Every woman needs a pair of simply comfortable pull on knit pants.
Pattern Sizing:
Lutterloh is based on your bust and hip measurement. Your pattern is drafted out using these two measurements. So ideally if your bust and hip are 50cm to 140cm the system should work for you.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Lutterloh has no directions.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
This pattern was a super simple elastic waist pull on. No extra bells and whistles like pockets to worry about this time around. The best part was how well draft Lutterloh pants patterns are. It went together with no problems. No dislikes at the moment.
Fabric Used:
A double knit bought from fabric.com over a year ago.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
No alterations made this time around other than taking a slightly deeper hem. I am trying to test out how close to fit Lutterloh is for me. I have been very surprised.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I plan to sew this again because it is perfect for weekend wear. Yes this is great even for a beginner. Just make sure to consult your references for best order of construction.
Conclusion:
Great pair of no fuss weekend wear pants.

THE SHORT SLEEVE TUNIC: Still in search of the perfect knit top or at least a second tnt knit top I decide to try Lutterloh  Supplement 271 #45. The fabric was rescued from my local thrift shop and is some type of rayon poly knit. I loved the pattern of the fabric and could not pass it up.

 Pattern Description:

Color blocked knit top with trim.
Pattern Sizing:
Lutterloh is based on your bust and hip measurement. Your pattern is drafted out using these two measurements. So ideally if your bust and hip are 50cm to 140cm the system should work for you.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
No due to design changes. But looked how I hoped it would.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Lutterloh has no instructions.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I was looking for a knit top that could be developed into a new tnt dartless t-shirt. This top had promise. The pieces are well drafted and go together nicely. Dislike I not happy with the sleeve length and won’t be surprised if I lob them of sometime in the near future. Even for a short sleeve top they hit at a odd place.
Fabric Used:
Some poly/rayon or Lycra knit saved from the local thrift store.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I did not do any of the color blocking as I wanted to be able to show off the print of the knit. Ended up doing 5/8 inch seams instead of the 1/2inch I had marked. Otherwise no changes. This could have used a 1/2 narrow shoulder adjustment but I really want to test out Lutterloh fit with no alterations.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Not sure if I will sew this again. Felt like the top was a bit boxy and until I can think of a way to make the sleeve a little more feminine I think this may be a onetime use. Yes I would recommend it to others.
Conclusion:
The top is a good wardrobe builder. If you would like to read more about how I used it in my winter 6 pack read my



 Up next piece six and a brief look at my sewing room/library. Happy sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment