Saturday, July 16, 2011

Redo

Lutterloh 281 #145 and Lutterloh 277 #101
Lutterloh 281 #145 and Lutterloh 277 #101
Yep you guessed it I'm still working on my pieces for One Pattern Many Looks Contest on PR. Of course the top now I wont be able to include because I have changed it since I was not 100% happy with the original.  If you recall The arm openings were huge and the it original length on me was more like a tunic or mini dress so I tucked it in with the white skirt.

On PR I was able to get some great suggestions on how to fix my issues. On the Lutterloh board mufffet and Miss Fairchild  wonderful suggestions and on the plus size sew along several ladies directed me to these Webcasts. The one on fitting t-shirts/french darts and french curve were helpful. Thank you ladies.

I think my second top which I have named flower power fits much nicer than the first hot pink one. It is made with some poly knit from my stash that I rescued from Goodwill.  Here is what I did.

Bottom one is the new pattern
the top is the original
1. I traced a second copy of my top front and back.
2. Drew two lines across the pattern one a little above high bust (line a) the second was at about high hip(line b).
3. Then I folded line a up 2 inches and I folded line b up 1 1/2 inches. This shortened the pattern by a total of 5 inches. I did the same to the back pattern.
4. I retraced my front facing piece.
5. I decided instead of raising the bust dart to change it to a french dart. So I lowered it and using the curve of my lutterloh ruler to help create a french curve.
6. When I sewed the new french dart I cut the extra material gathered in the dart to about 1/4 inch giving a smoother look.
7. The rest of the top was sewn identical to the original.
I am much happier with the second top. What do you think? Happy sewing tell next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment